Uttarayan in Gujarat, Lohri in Punjab, Bhogali OR Magha Bihu in Assam, Pongal in Tamil Nadu, Khichdi Parv in Uttar Pradesh/ Uttarakhand, Ellu Bella in Karnataka, Pedda Padunga in Andhra Pradesh – though the names differ it is Makar Sankranti that binds India in every way.
Best message to share
- On Makar Sankranti, we exchange sesame seeds & jaggery. The tiny sesame seeds remind us of our insignificance in this vast creation. The feeling that ‘I am nothing’ dissolves the ego & brings humility. Jaggery is a symbol of spreading sweetness. Happy Makar Sankranti!
- Let the gifts of the changing season remind you of the ceaseless gifts of the Unchanging Spirit. Let the glow of joy and warmth in your heart be unweathered by circumstances outside. Happy Makar Sankranti!
- The festival of Sun is here! Here’s wishing you and your family lots of happiness and sweet surprises this Makar Sankranti!
- May this wonderful Sankranti bring in new hopes, dreams, and positivity for you and your family this year! Wish you a very happy Makar Sankranti!
- May Surya Dev bring good harvest for you and may your home fill with good wishes, cheers and positivity all year! Happy Makar Sankranti!
- Have a cheerful Uttarayan, and may god bless you and your family with every bit happiness, prosperity and kindness in the world!
The multi-coloured Sky
Makar Sankranti is synonymous to kite flying too. People across India are seen on their roof tops and sky fills up with colourful kites. This year flying lantern takes over too .
Hey Black lovers!
Black is given special importance during Makar Sankranti. Black which is otherwise regarded as inauspicious by most Hindus is worn on this day to fight back evil. It is the day when the Sun starts its northern movement hence this day marks the end of winter and the beginning of spring. Being the last day of winter, this day turns out to be the coolest day of the entire season.
Food that makes it even better!
From ghee-laden desserts like chikki and gajak to toothsome savouries like khichdi, the eclectic range of Makar Sankranti deleciacies is a foodie’s dream come true with some must have :